I did something similar for my visit to Montreal this summer, but I wrote that after the fact. This time, I thought I’d try posting it before I actually do much and see what else people add to the list. I’ll keep updating this post as recommendations come in.
So far the categories are: beer, coffee, food, and events. (Lots of links are currently missing, but they will be there soon!)
- Number one recommendation with a bullet is the Alibi Room. Recommended by Kate Koliha, Phillip Djwa, and Boris Mann.
- Kat suggests “go to Bitter and have my favourite beer, Crannog’s Back Hand of God.” (And get a doughnut or three from Lucky’s)
- Kate adds Irish Heather and the The Whip.
- Gene is where I started my espresso route this trip. Thanks to Kim Elliot for the introduction.
- Today I checked out Kafka on the recommendation of Julie Jenkins and I was not let down. Great spot.
- Boris says “Make sure to also stop in at Revolver Coffee - best coffee north of San Fran.” Serious endorsement.
- Trevor of Clevers Media suggests a trip to 49th Parallel, which is next on my list.
- From there, Brad leads with Sushiyama “for delicious tuna sashimi the size of a steak,” and Kishimoto is given two thumbs up by Kim & Reilly.
- Boris Mann, the “Mann about town,” throws down with Fat Dragon BBQ and Nine Dishes
- Trevor throws in Save On Meats
- Budgie Burrito gets a nod from Brad, as does Cafe Montmartre
- Trish says, The Acorn
Places & events
First, a few events this week:
- Judy Rebick recommended a few events over lunch last week, starting with the premiere screening of Occupy Love, Velcro Ripper’s new film, at the Vancouver International Film Festival. Screening Thursday, Saturday, and next week.
- There’s also an opening-night after party for Occupy Love that comes highly recommended.
- Spreading the Maple Spring: Lessons from Quebec’s Student Strike (and Victory Party) was suggested by the whole rabble.ca crew, Judy, Kim, and Derrick.
- My colleagues here in The Tyee’s newsroom suggested the “Can We De-Friend Oil?” talk by Andrew Nikiforuk on Wednesday.
For later in the month:
- John Maxwell kicks things off with a trio of recommendations, starting with MiniTOC Vancouver on October 19th and 20th
- Followed by Open Education 2012 at UBC, Oct 16-18
- And, finally, Wandering Art Metropole
- Reilly from OpenMedia.ca suggests the DemocracyLOUD! A Fundraiser for Media Democracy Days 2012 event on October 11th
- The ever-geeky Brad reminds me to check out the Vancouver Hack Space
Have recommendations to add to the list? Find me on Facebook, leave a quick comment, or shoot me a note on Twitter or good ol’ e-mail.
Connect is the product of “lots and lots of experiments” (to steal a phrase from our friend Corey Ford at Matter Ventures). In each city,...… Continue reading